Sunday 11 May 2014

[Assignment 2] 'Monograms' Patterning Attempt 1

At first I thought painting monograms on 6 different items was the most taxing thing I could ever have done.

Then when it came to patterning, I thought I'd rather paint on 20 items instead.

We were supposed to pattern our monograms on a piece of A3 paper, then stick it onto a mounting board as a frame. Ms Lisa advised us to print on an A2 first then pick a spot where we think looks better and cut it out in A3 size.

I made the mistake of choosing a size too small for patterning, in the end, I had to make 72 repeating monograms, which took me more than 9 hours to cut them all out.

And that did not include myself making very hilarious and futile techniques in order to ease my progress.



After seeing my classmate's failed attempt to use plastic stenciling, I wasn't sure why I even considered this idea in the first place. Everything smudged like wet chocolate.




Oh, the horrors.




Then I made a stamp out of drawing paper.


I thought I could get off easy by stamping everything in one go. But then when I painted the underside of stamp with color, it dried up before I could even bring it close to the paper In the end, what I got was only a faint impression. Then when I tried adding some water, it smudged again.



 Deciding I could not take it any longer, I started cutting stickers.


72 of them... plus the other wrong ones. Probably about 100 stickers.


I haven't painted it yet, and I am really terrified at the thought of smudging the whole thing again. If that happens, I'm not going to cut another 72 monograms.

No comments:

Post a Comment